25th County of London Cyclist Battalion
The London Regiment


 Frank Gilbert BATCHELOR


 
Name: Frank Gilbert Batchelor
Birth Place: Ealing
Residence: Ealing
Death Date: 5 Apr 1917
Death Location: Balkans
Enlistment Location: Ealing
Rank: Private
Regiment: London Regiment
Battalion: 19th (County of London) Battalion (St. Pancras)
Number: 613910
Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre
Comments: Formerly 3813, 25Th Cyclist Battalion.

[Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919]


In Memory of

Private FRANK GILBERT BATCHELOR

3813, London Regiment (Cyclists) transf. to (613910) 2nd/19th Bn., London Regiment

who died age 19 on 05 April 1917

Son of Henry George and Louisa Batchelor, of 62A, Lawrence Rd., Ealing, London.

Remembered with honour Karasouli Military Cemetery, Greece . Grave Ref. D. 805.

Commemorated in perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Karasouli Military Cemetery, Greece . 
The cemetery was begun in September 1916 for the use of casualty clearing stations on the Doiran front. At the Armistice, it contained about 500 burials but was greatly increased when graves were brought in from the following cemeteries: Hadzi Bari Mah Military Cemetery (moved April 1919) - used from 25 August to 17 September 1917 contained 61 burials, 46 of them men of the 10th Hampshires and 2nd Gloucesters, who captured an enemy salient on 1 September. Caussica Military Cemetery (moved November 1920) - begun in February 1917 and at the Armistice contained 62 burials from field ambulances. This cemetery was itself enlarged when graves were brought in from surrounding burial grounds in February 1919. Kalinova Military Cemetery (moved December 1920) - used by field ambulances from October 1917 to September 1918 and at the Armistice contained 52 burials from field ambulances. This cemetery was itself enlarged when graves were brought in from surrounding burial grounds in February 1919. The cemetery now contains 1,421 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 56 being unidentified.

The cemetery is near the town of Polikastro (formerly Karasouli) which lies some 56 kilometres from Thessalonika, between the River Vardas and the south end of Lake Ardzan , in the Department of Pellis. The cemetery is on the road to Kalinova on the edge of the village, behind the football stadium, and is next to the Civil Cemetery .

[Courtesy of Commonwealth War Graves Commission] 
 


  

Copyright Simon Parker-Galbreath - Please acknowledge these web pages, & the original source, or email me for permission to reproduce items (normally given) :-